Venice Christmas Market

mercatini_venezia_campo_santo_stefano_58163For the three weeks before Christmas — until December 24th — Campo Santo Stefano is transformed into a Christmas Village,  entirely filled with craftsmen and food producers, whose displays are housed in 30 little wooden cabins. The square is lined with a backdrop picturing Venetian palaces, giving the whole scene a festival atmosphere.
Sponsored by the Artisan Association, the market features Christmas ornaments and decorations of Murano glass, traditional carnival masks, ceramics, jewelry, marbled paper and other Venetian craft specialties.

Murano glass is also used in jewelry, alone or worked into designs with silver and gold. Carnival masks can be as simple as the red, gold and black eye masks or elaborate creations from the studios of all the town.

One section of the Campo San Stefano market is devoted to Italian specialty foods – traditional cakes and sweets, fine olive oils, vintage balsamic vinegars and other locally made gourmet products fill the booths. Look for creamy white almond-studded nougat, fruit-filled panetone from nearby Verona, bags of specialty pastas, tiny biscotti, dried porcini mushrooms, candied chestnuts and delicacies made with precious white truffles from Alba.

The market’s festive atmosphere is heightened by musicians, concerts and entertainment, with some programs designed especially for children. Along with a shopping venue, the Christmas Market is a gathering place where Venetians and travelers mingle. Located in the Sestiere of Dorsoduro, the square adjoins the Peggy Guggenheim Museum, not far from Gallerie dell’Accademia, and is an easy walk from San Marco via the Accademia Bridge across the Grand Canal.

natale_a_murano

Tags: , , , , , ,

1. Would have been nice if it had happened. Nothing on the net to say it was cancelled – we were very disappointed this being one of the reasons to visit Venice for Christmas.

Comment by John Arran — 30 December 2010 @ 20:55

2. i like it

Comment by jeremy — 6 January 2011 @ 17:00

3. Hi John,
    you are right, nobody showed up in Campo Santo Stefano.
    I’m sorry if I didn’t wrote it but I realised that there wasn’t any market just the last day, when I walked in the Campo and didn’t see anything.
    The city hall printed all the brochure and attached them in the whole Venice but they didn’t tell to anybody that it has been cancelled.
    What a shame!!!
    We all have been very disappointed.

Roberto

Comment by Roberto — 7 January 2011 @ 15:35

4. Conseils tres interessants. A quand la suite?

Comment by rachat de credit immobilier simulation — 16 February 2011 @ 05:47

5. Does anyone know when and if the Christmas market will be held Dec. 2011? Thanks

Comment by Terry — 30 July 2011 @ 16:08

6. Sorry I actually don’t have any information about this year’s market. Will post something as soon as possible!

Comment by Roberto — 10 August 2011 @ 10:31

7. Does anyone have a further update to if the Christmas market 2011 is going ahead this year? It was a real shame last year.
    Many Thanks

Comment by John S — 4 November 2011 @ 13:00

8. Sure!
    It should be held from the 29th November to the 23rd December. Unfortunately I don’t any other official information about it, sorry! As soon as I will have any news I will post the in a new article.
    I hope that this year it will go better…

Comment by Roberto — 10 November 2011 @ 15:21

9. Thank you Roberto, that would be great.
    I remember the gospel choir that was on a few years ago which was great. We will be arriving in Venice around the 17th of December so it would be good to know if the market it’s on or not.
    Thanks

Comment by John S — 16 November 2011 @ 01:58

10. Just returned from Venice to report that there is no Christmas market this year either. Someone said it was decided that it was too costly. Mestre apparently has one.

Comment by Lulu — 8 December 2011 @ 01:18

11. Is christmas market being held this year? till what time is the market open at night and what time does it start in the morning?

Comment by S Kotak — 8 December 2011 @ 17:20

12. My brother suggested I might like this blog.
    He was totally right. This post truly made my day.
    You cann’t imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

Comment by cheapbrochureprinting — 10 May 2012 @ 21:51